- Students should come to school dressed for the important work of education. Our goal as a school community is to ensure that all children reach their full potential academically, socially and emotionally. Our dress code will help us to do that by enabling students to be safe and free from distractions. The Mather Dress Code applies to all students from K-5.
What to wear
In previous years, students could wear collared shirts of any color. This year, we are beginning to transition to navy blue tops. For the 2016-2017 school year, please do not worry if you have already purchased other colors for this year! Other colors are acceptable during the transition to navy. Please switch to navy blue this year when you are able.
For the 2017-2018 school year, all students should be in navy blue tops as detailed below.
- Plain collared button down shirt (navy blue) or plain polo shirt (navy blue)
- Plain sweater or sweatshirt (no writing, solid color)
- Any Mather logo shirt or sweatshirt (available for purchase in the office)
- Any college logo shirt or sweatshirt
- Plain khaki (tan) or navy blue pants, skirt, or shorts. Pants must fit properly and not fall below the waist. Skirts and shorts must be no shorter than one inch above the knee. Leggings may be worn under shorts or skirts. Plain sweat pants are allowed on gym days only.
- Mather School sweatpants
- Sneakers, any closed shoes or sandals with a back
- Girl Scout or Boy Scout uniforms
- Flip flops or sandals without a back (these may cause injuries during gym and recess)
- Hats or any kind of head wrap, except for cultural and/or religious reasons
- Stripes, prints, large non-Mather or non-college logos
The first time that students violate the dress code, they will receive a phone call home. Repeated violations will result in the loss of school privileges. Students may be asked to turn inappropriate shirts inside-out, or in more serious cases, parents may be required to bring students a change of clothing before that child may return to class.
If you need assistance:
If you need assistance in supplying your student with uniforms due to the financial burden or other situation, please see the Assistant Principal Ms. Stranberg in the office (firstname.lastname@example.org). The Mather is lucky to be a site for Catie's Closet, which provides clothing and toiletries to children in need. We will always do what we can to be sure that every student is able to come to school ready to learn.